Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Iconic Key West

I lived in Key West for a year when I was a little tot. My Dad was stationed here as a young Naval officer. In fact, he and my Mom met here a few years earlier. She was a cocktail waitress and he was drinking at the bar where she worked. I think they married about a year later.

I wish I could tell them that I visited here today. They'd get a kick out of that. Especially since we're docked out at the naval station.

I took a little hop on hop off trolley tour. I wanted to see the island and I wanted to visit the crazy Robert the Doll out at one of the museums. He's a creepy thing. I'll have pics in my next post.

Before the Navy arrived in the late 1800's, this area was flush with pirates. Once the Navy arrived, the pirates took off and hid around some of the 800 or so keys that dot the sea scape out here.

It's a cute little place and very laid back. Hemingway had a home here as did Truman. His "little White House" is available for tours today.

Key West is also famous for Margaritaville, Jimmy Buffett's song and shop. And for key lime pie. I stopped at one of the more well-known shoppes -
Kermit's and had a slice. Yum. It was so good I forgot to take a picture of it. That fellow in the picture is Kermit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers