Tuesday, August 9, 2016

My Day In Homer

We arrived mid morning in Homer. It's at the southwest end of the Kenai Peninsula and is the sweetest little town I've seen lately! Most of the 8,000 or so residents live up in the wooded foothills just behind the small little town from what I could see.

The weather is pretty temperate by Alaska standards. Only about 3 feet of snow per year but they do have a healthy rainy season, which is just beginning, I'm told.

I could totally live here! First of all, the town name is easy to spell and easy to say. There's lots of fishing, moose, bears and eagles. The people are so nice. The food is delicious. There's a movie theatre and two bookstores. And views of the snow capped mountains that go on forever. It sits on beautiful Kachemak Bay, 200 road miles from Anchorage. You can drive from Homer to Washington state and beyond. Alaska's Scenic Byway road ends in Homer.

Across the bay are 5 glaciers nestled beneath the Kenai Mountains.

We docked at the spit, which is where the marina sits, and I took a shuttle bus into town, about 4 1/2 miles away. I spent the morning walking around town and visiting shops and the bookstores, then shuttled it back to the spit. Another bus took us over to the other side of the spit. I had a nice lunch at one of the restaurants and walked and store-browsed some more.

It's been a great day here! I'd like to come back for a few weeks and maybe try my hand on a fishing charter or go on a bear watching tour. This is a place where you can relax and enjoy the beauty of this area.

Snort liked it too.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Homer is much as I expected or hoped it would be!!!! Lots of rain and two bookstores sounds like a pretty cool place to me.

    Perhaps a roadtrip on Alaska's Scenic Byway is in our future! That could be fun!!!! Especially in an RV of some sort rather than tent camping :-)))))

    Looks like Snort is being a good companion but hope not imbibing too much during happy hour ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers