Sunday, August 6, 2017

Reykjavik Iceland

The last time I was in Reykjavik was in 2014, with Adrienne. We didn't get too much time to visit the city, so this time I wanted to get more time there.

This trip spent two days here, so on the first day I took the hop on bus into town and got off at the big church in the middle of the city. It's called the Hallgrimmskirkja. That's a mouthful isn't it? The last time we were there we opted not to go up to the top of it. Either the line was too long or we were running out of time, I'm not sure. But today I was determined to go. And go I did. The wait was less than 10 minutes and the view was really nice.

After the church, I wandered through town with the intent to find another place that we had passed up last time - the Penis Museum. Yep. That's not a typo. There's an entire (only one in the world) museum dedicated to penises. It started out with a scientist kind of guy collecting whale penises for study and then, well, pardon the pun here, but his interest grew.... the museum was closed in 2014 as we were by it in the evening.
This time it was open and I paid my fee and went in.

It was, ah, interesting. I have to say, whale penises are very very frightening. Just look at the picture and you'll understand.

The other place I wanted to return to, for an inside tour, was the Harpa. That is the new music center. It's a fascinating piece of design, both inside and out. The building itself is designed to represent an active volcano, with the inside concert halls bathed in purple and red lighting to make you think of hot lava.

The outside shell is the prismed glass and it actually lays over the building, never touching it. Really cool. When the sun and light hit it at different angles, it created very pretty light patterns across the floors of the hall.

I finished the day with an evening visit to the Blue Lagoon. It's the famous geothermal spa in Iceland. Love the place!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers