Sunday, April 2, 2017

Rhodes Greece

Rhodes


Today we visited the first of six straight days of Greek ports - Rhodes. It is one of the largest islands of Greece and is known for its beach resorts (there are over 900 hotels with more being built), ancient ruins, orange groves, olive trees, and pretty whitewashed little towns along its stunning coast. 


The Knights of St. John occupied this area during the Crusades, and the old walled town is where you can find the Palace of the Grand Masters. 


Today I took a ship's tour out to the quaint town of Lindos, about a 40 minute drive from the old city of Rhodes where we were docked. We were the only ship in town and not many other tourists were about, as it is just on the cusp of the tourist season. With gorgeous blue skies and temps in the 70's, it has been a picture perfect day. 


Lindos is known for its acropolis and the 280 BC Temple of Athena Lindia, from which the town takes its name. It is a beautiful archeological site. 


I'll let my photos tell its story. 


After we visited Lindos we drove back to the ship and I spent several hours in the old town of Rhodes wandering about, shopping and having a nice lunch at one of the many outside cafes. 


Snort stayed at home today because he was tired from me being up since 2:30 AM. One of those nights where I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. I ended up turning on the lights and finished the book I was reading. 


Tomorrow we will be in Athens for an overnight visit. I'm hosting a private tour for eight of us - we will visit "the" Acropolis, other big sites in Athens and then drive out to Corinth to see its famous Canal. On the second day I plan to head into Athens again but to visit the museum and have a nice walk about in the Plaka area. 






















































































2 comments:

Followers