Friday, January 10, 2020

Second Verse, Same As The First - World Cruise 2020

Travel Quote:  "I wish I had never gone traveling.....said no one ever"  Anonymous




It may be my second time around the world, but it is definitely a different itinerary and 17 more days than my first time, in 2017.  Four years into retirement, and my traveling days are increasing.  Last year, I was away from home nearly half the year.  This year, so far on my schedule, I will be away fro 220 days.

This second world cruise, on Holland America's Amsterdam, will last for 128 days.  The itinerary starts and ends in Ft. Lauderdale, and we will visit 6 out of the 7 continents.  Europe will be the only one we skip, although I shall be in Europe for 2 months later this year.  Like in 2019, we will visit many ports around South America, and will be back in Antarctica.  This will be my third time there - it's an amazing place to be, and see, and feel.  No other place like it on earth.  Then we will head across the Pacific to Easter Island, Pitcairn Island, Tahiti and then to New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and over to Africa.  Another place that is like no other.  I'm stoked to be going back to some of these amazing places, and excited to visit new ones.

The hardest part of leaving home for any trip, is leaving behind my granddaughters.  I've been living with them, as many of you know, for their whole lives, and as they grow, they become more aware of Nana being gone.  Ori is oldest at nearly 8, and Yuval turns 5 in a few days.  I have only been home for Yuval's first birthday, but I've promised her that next year, when she turns 6, that I will be there to celebrate with her in person.  I've missed a few of Ori's too, but she's knowledgeable about FaceTime and WhatsApp, so our communication is more constant, and my physical absence, hopefully, is not so hard on her.  She and I are thick as thieves, as they say.  I will miss Yuval's infectious humor - she makes me laugh every day.  Grandkids are awesome.

Okay, on to this trip!!!

I flew from home (Sacramento, California) on December 30, to Miami.  My friend Jimmy (who sailed with me for a few weeks on my 2017 world cruise) and his husband, Aaron, met me at the airport and whisked me away to their new home - a gorgeous highrise apartment on Biscayne Bay.  They had recently moved from San Diego, but had lived many years in New York City prior to that.  We spent a lovely several days together, rang in the New Year and laughed an awful lot.  Their dog, Lorenzo, an Italian Greyhound, fell in love with Snort (my little pig who is my traveling companion), and I had to rescue Snort several times.  Thankfully, Lorenzo is not a chewer, but an cuddler.  So Snort was safe from any immediate harm.



Lorenzo, canoodling with my Snort.



New Year, new footprints in the sand.


I'm going to miss these two........................


Sunset view from Jim and Aaron's.


Fireworks just after midnight, New Year's


Driving to the hotel, we passed the new Hard Rock Hotel.  I don't think it's quite open yet, but it sure makes a statement!!


All too soon, it was Friday and time to go to the hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, where my travel agency had set up their clients.  Close to 200 of us enjoyed a nice cocktail party, followed by dinner.  Orlando Ashford, HAL's current president, graced us with his presence and spoke for a few minutes, wishing us fair winds and following seas.  Did you know he gets really seasick?  Hahahahaha.  I think that's so funny.

Saturday morning arrived, the 4th of January, 2020, and soon we were on our way to the port, where we waited in line for over an hour to get checked in.  Then it was on the ship, to our cabins, and waiting for luggage to arrive.  I'd shipped 2 bags ahead of time, a perk of booking early, and brought with me another medium sized bag as well as a carryon and a backpack.  Plenty to last me for 128 days.

My cabin had been booked as a guarantee, an outside cabin, which is one with a window.  Hoping for a late upsell offer, or a free upgrade at assignment time, I was out of luck, and was assigned a cabin in the worst possible place for my liking - on the outside promenade (walking) deck.  Ugh.  I have a thing about people walking by my window and being able to see in.  Even though, in the daytime, that's not possible unless one puts their face against the window, it's still perceived by me to not be private.  And at night - well, if your light is on, you'd better close your curtains or everyone walking outside can see in.  I hate that so much.  I don't like my drapes closed.  I know, whine whine whine.  Whatever.  I was passively stalked earlier in my life, and since then, I've never trusted that my windows are safe from prying eyes.  Not ever.  Not even one day.  That's why an outside window cabin is so nice for me - there's only the ocean water out there.

I visited guest relations and asked about switching cabins.  The ship is very full, and right now there's only inside cabins available.  But there is hope for me in Buenos Aires, where the first segment ends.  People will be disembarking, and yes, others getting on, but that's the time a switch can be made, I'm hopeful.  We shall see.  Stay tuned.





1 comment:

  1. I was so excited to find your blog in my reading list today!! Yay!

    I'm probably weird, but I enjoyed having one of the window cabins on the promenade deck. I felt like I had a huge balcony just a few steps away and watching the walkers go by was somewhat entertaining. I really got a kick out of the people that would use our window as a mirror not realizing I was on the other side watching them!

    I do realize that these cabins are a lot smaller though so hopefully you will get a chance to "move down stairs" to a regular window cabin that is more spacious and gives you a nice view.

    I can't even imagine what it would feel like to start a cruise and know it is going to last for 128 days!! Enjoy every minute! I will be here in the cold and snow reading every post and wishing I were there!

    ReplyDelete

Followers