Saturday, January 18, 2020

Bedeviled and be moved!

Travel Quote:  "If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it's lethal". -- Paul Coelho


I visited Devil’s Island last year.  In fact, I posted about it, so if you want the "devil in the details, look to my post dated July 2019.  I am very lucky to be able to visit Devils Island twice!  This time, it was a very hot day, and I didn't get off the ship until the early afternoon.  I retraced many of my steps from last year, but mostly kept to the dirt road that surrounds the island.  I walked all the way around, about 45 minutes at a leisurely pace.  The far side of the island has gorgeous views and is cooler and more windy.  

Below are some new pictures I took during my walk.  Some of the buildings are parts of the original prison, one is now a small boutique hotel.  Monkeys still rule the place, and the tradewinds blowing the palm trees makes for some nice photos.















It's hard to see, below, but this monkey managed to get hold of one of those squeeze juice/applesauce pouches.  He figured out pretty quickly how to get it open.













My whining paid off -- I was lucky enough to get moved to a new cabin!!!  It's on the Dolphin Deck, which is the bottom-most passenger deck, at the aft (rear) of the ship.  It's my preferred spot (the aft) and even though I have no clue what's beneath me, it's quiet, bigger  and I have a nice window with nothing outside but sky and waves.  No intrepid peekers-in. Ha!







This pianist/singer is John Bressler.  He is a terrific piano player and a rock and roller at heart.  He put on 2 great shows during the week that he was on board.  He was a big hit.  He played one of my all-time favorite songs - MacArthur Park.  





In the specialty restaurant, the Pinnacle, my friend Karen and I enjoyed a Caribbean specialty dinner prepared by one of our guest chefs.  The dish below was our seafood starter and it was yummy!!



On sea days, we have arts and crafts in the afternoons.  We make a variety of things.  Here's a pair of turtle earrings we made one day.  I feel like I'm a kid again, doing after school activities until Mom or Dad picked me up after work.




And, finally, this is really really REALLY big news:  Snort got a new buddy.  Meet Ollie.  He's a sloth, in case you don't recognize what he is.  They get along very well and enjoy hanging out together in the cabin when I'm away.  Ollie's a bit bigger than Snort, so not sure how well he'll do crammed into my backpack when I'm touring, but we'll see how it goes.  He's so soft and always has a smile on his face.  




Stay tuned for more Pig Tales!!


1 comment:

  1. Your new "home" looks wonderful...and it looks as if Snort is enjoying the view! Will you be able to stay in the cabin for the full cruise?

    ReplyDelete

Followers