Thursday, February 21, 2019

Penguins Flocking In The Falklands







I have been lucky enough to get to the Falkland Islands 3 times.  The first time was in 2003.  My friend James and I wandered about the town and enjoyed beers at a local pub.  It was a sunny day.  The second time was in 2016.  I took a similar tour, but shorter than today's, out to a nearby beach to see gentoo penguins.  It was fabulous!  This time, I wanted to see the King penguins, so I braved the 2 1/2 hour one way trip out and enjoyed 2 hours once there.  Worth the rough ride!!!  Today's trip was a bit cloudy and rained later in the afternoon after our return to town.  I'll have another chance to go next January, so looking forward to a different adventure then!  Sometimes the winds are so strong that ships cannot send their tenders to shore, so being 3 for 3, I'm pretty grateful!





Hey!  Where did everybody go???



Stop following me, you guys!!!


This is a king penguin egg  It's very heavy!

Beach where the penguins live and swim



The three amigos





These gentoo penguins have burrows whereas the King penguins do not



Fancy a swim??

Heading out to sea to get food


Feeding time



Parent and child.  Sooooo cute!!!




























Whale bone!!!!






The Christ Church Cathedral.  Southernmost Anglican church in the world  Consecrated in 1892. 


Lots of this rock - and of course there are several large quarries on the island


The governrment house



Bumpy 1 hour ride after an hour on a dirt/gravel road, after 15 minutes ride on pavement from town.  ONE WAY.......
 


Our 4x4 for the day. 














One of the many sheep farms on the island.  This particular one belongs to the family who owns the land where we visited the penguins.  I believe it is the Johnson Farm, but don't hold me to it. It was too bouncy in the Land Rover to write anything down so I had to rely on my shaky (haha, pun intended) memory!



Memorial to Falklands War against Argentina in 1982



Sei whale skull




Boot hill.  When an Islander leaves the Falklands, it is traditional that they should leave an item of  footwear behind.  A legend says that this means you are meant to return.




Travel quote:  "When in doubt, travel"  -- Anonymous

Stay tuned for more Pig Tales!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers