Thursday, July 12, 2018

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

While Grand Cayman was a tender port, Ocho Rios, in Jamaica, lets us sidle right on up to the dock.  There's a bit of a walk on a boardwalk to get to shore, but no big deal.

When we left Grand Cayman yesterday, they happened to have used two of the tenders right outside my cabin on the promenade deck.  It was kind of fun to watch them load them back onto the ship.








The boardwalk at Ocho Rios pier




Having never visited Jamaica before, I decided to do a couple of the most popular, or well-known activities - ride the Jamaican bobsled, and climb Dunn's River Falls.  There was a HAL tour that combined both activities, so I signed up for it.  Our little van happened to be the very first one out this morning, and the first place we went was Mystic Mountain, where the bobsled ride is located.  You have to first ride a very long sky rail gondola type thingey to get up to the top.  I was the first one on the sky rail, and the first one on the bobsled, for the day.  Whoo hoo!  No long lines in which to wait.

Snort and I had a blast on the bobsled.  You "drive" it by pushing the handles forward to make it go, and pull back on the handles to make it slow or stop.  Near the end, the "system" takes over and slows you down, but for the majority of the ride, you decide your fate.  I started off a bit slow, but gained courage quickly and soon Snort and I were zipping along and flying through the curves in the track.  What a rush!!










After finishing up at Mystic Mountain, the shuttle took us over to Dunn's River Falls.  Here, you can't really have your camera unless you've got it in a "for sure" watertight bag, else it's gonna get wet or you might drop it, etc.  In fact, one guy in our group did just that.  He dropped his iphone right into the water and then the guide a several other people were trying to find it.  They finally did, but man oh man, what a crazy dumbass thing to do.  Anyway, I left my camera/phone back in the locker and only grabbed a few photos after the fact, from the viewing platforms.  The Falls were busy and while the water was cool and refreshing, it was a little boring having to wait in lines to traverse up the Falls.  It took over an hour to climb them.  I enjoyed it, but wouldn't consider doing it again.




See how you have to wait in line? 



Back at the ship, I saw out on my lanai and got an earful of our neighbor ship in port - the MSC Seaside.  It's a new MSC ship and holds 6,200 passengers.  Whoa.  It's a gorgeous looking ship, but one huge turnoff for me was the disco-ish music blaring from it's outside decks, DJ included.  So annoying.  I can't imagine what the passengers on that ship must have felt like, it was so loud across the water from us.  I'll take my little 1,300 passenger HAL ship any day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers